Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Plan

So, for the Artemisian Costuming Challenge, I am going to make a Turkish costume.  Technically, from the Seljuk Turks 1060-1327, c.e.  We'll see how much the original plan has changed in 6 months.

Slight edit - In the course of a couple of hours of online research, I have (of course) ;o) come across conflicting names for the various pieces.  So, until I am certain, I will use the English name.

My initial plan is thus:

1)  A shirt or a chemise - made from apprx 6 yrds of very fine, tan cotton that has been laying around the house for years pretending to be a sari


2)  A dress and a pair of pants along with a robe - the dress will be from the 6yrds of recycled cotton I have left over from the curtains I made for our travel trailer; pants will be the cherry linen I originally bought for the above mentioned curtains (the trailer didn't like that color) and robe will be black linen.  I will have to buy more of the black, however, as I only have a bit over a yard left. 


3)  A coat - the coat will be the heavy blue linen, that I bought last year, lined with the tan linen I bought to go with non-existent cherry curtains. 

4)  The accessory could be a head scarf; sash; purse or a pair of slippers -  I see that fabric-store.com has sheer linen on sale.  The might work for the scarf.  Other than that, I am not sure which accessory I will make.

I also plan on making trim - weaving and finger loop braiding comes to mind.  That will probably be where most of the $100 will go.  I have some thread already - tan and black to be woven for the kaftan, as well some gorgeous blue and burgundy to go on the black robe.  I will also need buttons of some sort and the usual supply of notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment