Thursday, July 7, 2011

Layer 1 - almost done

Started on the underpiece (Layer 1, shift, chemise, gomlek, whatever)  yesterday. I chose the fabric for a few reasons
  1. I had it already
  2. It wasn't doing anything productive other than taking up valuable space in my closet 
  3. I loved the way it feels and thought it would be a great 'next to the skin' layer
Holy cow - what a pain!!  It is like trying to sew a cloud together.  Fluffy, sticky, floaty obnoxious material.  This whole time I have been telling myself that it will be worth it, it will be SOOO soft to wear.
Man, it better be.

The other reason it has been so difficult is that I am trying a period pattern from here:  http://forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML

LOVE the way it is going together (the pattern, not the fabric).  I decided to try this pattern on this particular piece because if I screwed it up, I hadn't blown any gorgeous fabric and any screw-ups I decide to keep won't be terribly obvious to anyone but me.

So, my first challenge piece is hanging up, waiting for me to finish frenching one set of seams and then slap a hem on it.  Oh, and finish the sleeves.  But still - you get the point.  It is 85% done.  My original plan had been for short sleeves, since I really don't like bulky clothes. But, long sleeves seem to work better with the pattern.  Now, I have to decide how narrow they should be.  The fabric wants to be all floaty and bell shaped, but this is the bottom layer and light or not, there is going to be a lot **** on my arms by the time I am finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment