Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Level 4 is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent hours (if not days) looking for examples of some sort of accessory that 1) I can make and 2) that I would want to wear.  (If you think a hennin is awkward and odd by modern standards, you should some of the Turkish headgear - omg)



Anyway - I finally decided on a cap and veil - just because they are only things I can bear to wear - I am just not a huge fan of medieval headgear.


The cool thing is that I learned to felt AND used some of our Husky's blown out coat to make the cap.   The *other* cool thing is the cap works very nicely underneath my coronet  ;o)



 


So, I bought the wool roving at some point (not really sure when) to test out spinning (can't stand it), looked up 'how to felt' as well as the history of felting online and mixed 1/3 Husky fur to 2/3 wool to felt a little cap.  Once the cap was constructed, I used an old football of mine to block into shape. (the test piece on the left is 100% Husky, just wanted to see what it is like)


We have so much fur just from the past year and 1/2 of puppy-dom, that I am very tempted to follow through on my standard threat and make a rug.  


After the Challenge was issued, I bought a couple of yards of handkerchief weight linen  - just in case I needed it as a 'fall-back' accessory.  I actually have enough to make 3 different veils, plus who knows what else.  As mentioned earlier I used linen thread pulled from said purchase to hem the veil - completely by hand.  *That* was an interesting endeavor, let me tell you.

2 comments:

  1. Ok so you call ME Cockamamie for using thread from left over material...yet we now have photographic PROOF that you keep husky hair in a shopping bag!!! You got a little insanity in ya too woman hehe!

    But, truth be told, I'd give anything to still have the spun thread Ellen did from my cat Gandalf's coat. He passed away a few years ago & it would have been a cool way to memorialize him...Can't find it anywhere =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, it seemed a shame to just throw all that away. Altho, I think the birds are annoyed that we didn't just fling it out there for their nests last spring.

    And by birds, I mean there is enough for a Roc to make a comfy home. ;o)

    ReplyDelete